Letter #3 "The one who waited"

Hello, old friend!

Or have you forgotten all about me? Because... I haven't forgotten about you. I think I will begin this letter thinking about the past. I loved you, Wilbur. You helped me out through school. You were kind to me when everyone else would call me names. Even though you said that we could never be friends in front of others because of my colored skin, you would still take me to the park every day after school were we would be alone for hours, just talking. Oh the dreams we shared!
And, there was that one night, I do think I remember it well. It was the last day of our high school. You were to go off to the world, to college, and I was to go and help my parents at the farm. You were as sad as I was, but it didn't stop you from promising that in 50 years you will show up at the same train station where I watched you disappear that day. You said "I'll come back, my dear. You have to wait for me there! And then I'll take you away with me!" I told only one person you said that. My mother. Though, she passed away quite some time ago, I still remember her words, she told me you were lying. And that you only said 50 years because you were hoping I'd forget about it.
But, old friend, I remember you. And your promise. And I stood on that station from dusk till dawn and all the way to the night again. I think a thousand trains passed, but non of them was yours. I waited. I kept my part of the promise. I waited. But you never showed up.
Why did you lie to me Wilbur? Why couldn't you keep your promise? I miss you so much. Every day, I miss you more and more, and by this time it started to hurt. And now my heart is broken. Why did you have to make me feel this way? Why? Why? Why?!

Still, old friend, I wish you all the best, even tough you don't know who this is.

The one who waited for you

No comments:

Post a Comment